Saturday, May 5, 2012

Spinning through time and space. I beat the drum.

Yesterday's walk. Before the snow.
I went drumming last night. I pound upon the drum skin. I beat the rhythm of my heart. And I was refreshed, renewed, revitalized.

It was an amazing two hours of rhythm and beat. Of people joined in a circle creating music that lifted spirits and soothed souls.

It was fabulous!

I have participated in a couple of drum circles before, but never one this large. Over 100 people, ranging in age from below 5 to over 65, were gathered in the community centre in Inglewood, a round building with a tee-pee like roof. "This is Blackfoot land" a woman beside me whispered. "It's sacred."

And I felt it. The sacred nature of the space and the drumming and the people gathered together. Just as I feel it every Wednesday night at meditation with my group. The sacred connection to all that is alive and beautiful and wondrous and Divine about our spiritual essence living out our human presence on this planet called Earth, spinning through time and space, believing all that is, is us, here on earth, spinning through time and space.

Last night, as I sat in the drum circle and closed my eyes and just listened to the beat of the drums, I felt the spinning stop. I felt time and space fall away as I settled into me, into being present, in the moment, right there, right then.
Ripples of Peace

It can be challenging in this busy, gotta get it done, get to it, get at 'er world to find that moment of present being, that space where 'the stuff' falls away and we become one with the One, one in the moment of being, here, right now, exactly the way we are, exactly as we are in being here.

I felt it last night. I breathed into it, lived it, embraced it and let it become me and me it. And in my being, it, I knew that this world, this life, this moment is all there is, all I need to be alive and well and living on earth.

I beat the drum last night and in the pounding of my heart, I felt the rhythm of my soul calling me to be at peace, to be at One with being right here, right now where all is well.

This morning, snow falls -- yes, it is May 5 and snow is falling. Ellie sleeps on the floor behind me, C.C. sleeps in our bed a cat on each side (my daughter's cat is visiting). Snow falls in big white fluffy flakes, wet and heavy, it clings to the boughs of the fir tree outside my window. And here, inside, I am warm. I am complete. I am surrounded by love. Peace fills my heart. Joy lifts my spirits. And, harmony fills my soul with eternal bliss.

I beat the drum last night and the beat continues to resonate in my being this morning as I watch snow falling to the ground in the sacred nature of this moment, right now, where I am and all is well.

10 comments:

Maureen said...

I admire how open you are to so many different experiences, and how each fulfills you so wholly.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Beautifully written, powerful experience! I have spent hours listenting to drums beat late into the night at Native American gatherings. There is nothing that connects me more strongly to the reality of what life is, and to the calm center of existence where we are all one. I am always sad when it is over and the time comes to leave. The drumbeat is the heartbeat of the earth they say, and I believe.

Unknown said...

Your second last paragraph evokes a blissful picture - I am so incredibly happy for you.
Drumming? that would mean letting go of my own self limiting belief that I have no rhythm. I have a lot of misguided beliefs that I need to let go of :-)
Yay you!

S. Etole said...

Thinking of you even though my visits have been infrequent this week.

Snow?! Oh, my.

Jennifer Richardson said...

drumming.....my heart thump thumps
with happy wonder
at the idea
and I know I will find
a drum circle
to join
because your words
have started a drumming fire
inside of me
and I send you huge thanks
for that;)
much grateful love,
Jennifer

Louise Gallagher said...

Thanks Maureen -- Brene Brown, in her book, The Gifts of Imperfection, calls it -- wholehearted living. I like that. Being wholehearted!

Hugs

Louise Gallagher said...

They do say that Josie! And it's when we're out of beat with mother earth, we experience angst!

Louise Gallagher said...

It is in the drumming that I find my rhythm Fi... :) Hugs! You never know what might happen until you try it....

Louise Gallagher said...

Thanks for dropping in Susan -- and you too are in my thoughts. When I look out at the world, I try to see the picture through your eyes -- and always see so much more beauty than I imagined.

Louise Gallagher said...

I am so excited Jennifer that you have heard the call of the drum!

I plan on drumming again this Friday evening!

the beat of your heart
sounds
a beautiful tattoo
of rhythm
awakening
dreams.

Hugs