Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Dakota 38

It is my vision, as both artist and priest, that only good things will emerge as we do this work of reconciliation together. The Rev. Canon Robert Two Bulls (Oglala Lakota Oyate)
As sometimes happens, the best laid plans go awry when a better idea is encountered. I had a different post formulating for today. It has been awhile since I managed to meet up with my Wednesday night meditation group. June was chocker-block full with -- I can't remember! -- there were no gatherings during the summer and then, I was away, had guests and hadn't made the first two gatherings of the fall.

I made it last night. I am grateful.

I had intended to write about that experience. Profound. Enlightening. Startling.

And then, I read Maureen Doallas' post at Writing Without Paper. "New Documentary Remembers the Dakota 38."

Like me, you may not know about the Dakato 38; 38 warriors from the Sioux and Ojibway nations who have the distinction of being hanged in the largest mass hanging in American history on December 26, 1862 by order of President Abraham Lincoln -- a man who worked to end slavery yet could not see his way clear to save 'the savages'.

Not a distinction anyone would want.

Not a distinction history should contain.

But we cannot change the past.

In the trailer, Jim Miller, the Sioux spiritual leader whose dream lead to the creation of a 330 mile healing ride to Mankato, Minnesota where the 38 were hanged says in the documentary trailer of Dakota 38:
"We don't have to blame the - and he uses the Sioux word for white people -- anymore. We're doing it to ourselves. We're selling drugs. We're killing our own people. That's what this ride is about. It's healing."
Healing. Only healing will create a better tomorrow. Only forgiveness. Acceptance. Love have the power to heal.

Please, take a few minutes in your day to read and watch the trailer for the documentary over at Maureen's as well as all the other links Maureen provides.

Please, be a part of the healing. Pass the link along. Keep Jim Miller's ride to Mankato, Minnesota alive.

His ride to Mankato has been completed. The journey of healing continues on. For all our ancestors. For all our people. We must join the healing circle.

Namaste.

5 comments:

Maureen said...

Miller's is a truly stirring story and I hope his vision of healing will be realized. The general state of Native Americans' lives is deeply saddening.

What you might not know also is that one of the riders who joined Miller committed suicide after the trek was completed.

Louise Gallagher said...

Thank you Maureen.

My heart cries for that rider and his loved ones and community.

When the light enters too late to lift a heavy heart we must all life our hearts together.

I lift my heart with yours.

Joyce Wycoff said...

I love being part of our tribe and humbly follow your lead in passing along this story.

Claudia said...

thanks for this louise...will jump over to maureen later to check out the trailer...true what you say about healing and guilt

Jennifer said...

oh. so. rich.
my heart aches over this
and longs to see healing
and restoration
....thanks for this beautiful
share.
-Jennifer