Thursday, June 30, 2011

Standing in the dark

It was one of those 'dang', why can't I sleep?' nights. Tossing. Turning. Drifting off. Waking up only to drift off and awaken again.

And there was no milk in the house!

I did go stand out in the backyard for a few moment. It's part of my 'taking back the night' campaign for myself. Getting over my fear of 'the dark'.

And let me tell you.... I can't believe how unbelievable scary that is. To stand in the middle of the night, in the dark, in the yard, surrounded by a sleeping city. No sirens. No traffic. No nothing but the night.

Where did this fear come from.

Ruth Mowry over at synch-ro-ni-zing once suggested to me that her fear came from impressionable childhood moments religiosity compelled a fear of the dark to rise.

I'm sure stories of Satan and the fires of hell do play a role in my fear of the dark -- but whatever the cause, it is time to let them go.

So into the dark I go.

I'll keep you posted -- but really what all this is about right now is... I did finally fall asleep and woke up late!

Gotta run!

I'll be back later to thrill you with stories of Tip Your Hat and our first ever 'Celebrity Paint-Off' held yesterday evening.

it was a blast and wow -- what wonderful creations. Stay tuned y'all. I'll be back soon now, ya'hear?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LG

recommended therapy - leave the backyard, walk to the store, buy milk, walk home

repeat every time your run out of milk, or bread or eggs

you'll get home, exercised, ready for breakfast and exhilarated you have exorcized your fear

the night, for me is the most spectular fun ... not quiet, but apparently still while the sounds of crickets and traffic hum in the distance are quiet enough you can hear your thoughts without anyone or any ringing phone to interrupt your flow

Mark

trisha said...

i have seen night in remote village, that is really scary.

Claudia said...

nothing but the night...i can imagine...once stayed overnight in the desert and there was night..and it was full of sounds unknown...magical and scary

Anonymous said...

skunks.

Louise Gallagher said...

You must have been prescient Mark -- I was out of milk that morning too!

Louise Gallagher said...

That does sound scary Trisha -- I have been in mountain valleys, on glaciers, back country lodges -- and always, the middle of the night scares me.

It isn't the physicality for me -- I know it's emotion/mind driven!

Louise Gallagher said...

it is magical Claudia -- and I want the magic, not the scary!!! :)

I'll keep you posted. It is a slow and long process for me!

Louise Gallagher said...

Nance! You my friend make me smile. We don't ahve skunks in Calgary -- okay none that I've met... oh no! Hadn't thought about skunks!