Thursday, September 9, 2010

Syncopation

Life is part positive and part negative. Suppose you went to hear a symphony orchestra and all they played were the little happy high notes. Would you leave soon? Let me hear the rumble of the bass, the crash of the cymbals and the minor keys. Jim Rohn
In the crash of cyberspace a minor key is often this thing called, "SPAM". For over three years I have resisted putting in 'word verification' for those leaving comments on my blog. No more. The dissonance of the crashing cymbals of invitations for sex and drugs and rocking whatever a devious mind deems appropriate have become too much. If you go to leave a comment today, you'll be asked to type in a word verification.

The times they are a changing.

It's funny how that little step annoys me. Not on other people's blogs. I don't mind typing in the verification word. In fact, sometimes it's fun just to figure out a meaning for the randomly selected letters.

But here, in my place, it annoys me. It annoys me because it highlights how the few can change everything for the many.

The ripple of the few affects everyone. We are each responsible for our ripple and when we set out to create ripples of discord, everyone is touched.

Which is why I have resisted putting in word verification in the past. I did not want to be dictated to by the actions of the few.

Reality is. SPAM has increased on my blog. I receive more and more SPAM comments every day and thus, have chosen to accept reality and do what must be done to protect the integrity of my blog, and to be responsible to those who come to visit. Because, if I open up a virus with a comment, or post something that leaves someone else open to infection or viewing some distasteful or questionable content, I am not behaving with integrity. I am not taking care.

Perhaps it is that thsi blog respresents the most simple and gratifying purpose for me -- to be of service. This blog is my act of service every morning. It satisfies my need to write every day, and, it is meant to inspire others in their act of awakening to the wonder and joy of their day too.

I've added Comment Verification on my blog. I've added a layer of security.

I don't have to look at it as crashing cymbals and discordant notes. I can choose to look at it as an act of service. An act of doing the right thing to take care of business, to be conscious of the needs of those I serve. As my opportunity to act responsibly in our wired up universe of hyper-connectivity where syncopated notes strike discord if left to wander cyberspace unimpeded.

Perhaps in doing 'the right thing' -- by limiting spam, I will encourage those who wish to create discordance to see value and the gift of creating ripples that resonate harmoniously in a world where their syncopation does no harm.

It's a nice thought -- then again, it could be the spam is coming from a computer somewhere that has no idea what havoc it wreaks with its invitation to 'click here'. The computer is the drone. Doing what it does because it can. Because it was programmed to do so. The originator is the one who needs enlightenment. And the originator is oblivious to the impact of his or her actions...

My little blog is growing up. Learning that to be safe it must first be a safe place to visit. To be of value, it must protect the value within from those who would act without integrity, from those who would take advantage of its open spaces.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK ... here goes

a non-spam reply, checking out your new tool - looks easy so far

sadly, each time we put a roadblock of any kind in someone's path we do two things - we reduce responses, and we break the momentum


I use a response tool on my website [ http://markmusing.com ] without a layer of security; so far I've not had a spam problem .... a looney comment from time to time, some poor grammar and spelling ... but that's all

Cheers,

Mark

Louise Gallagher said...

thanks mark!

Your comment made it through :)

And I hear you -- it does break the momentum -- I just need to find a positive framework for accepting the necessity.

Brandi said...

That's exactly why I started the comment moderation for my blog too. Your blog is growing...and that's a fabulous thing :)

PS - can I interest you in some pills that will rock your world? ;)

S. Etole said...

A visit here is well worth an extra word to type ... but I understand the frustration of what necessitates it.

Anonymous said...

my word verification today is
"inompali"

Maureen said...

I restored comment verification last week after trying to go without. I'm grateful when the spam catcher works. Blogger has a facility for reviewing what's been caught, too.

Mark has been lucky, I think.

Louise Gallagher said...

Your comments are so reassuring -- I'm not alone and together we can disturb disturbing intentions of spammers!

thanks!

Incompali -- the act of creating compatability amongst palliative care workers