Monday, October 12, 2009

Thank You

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. John Fitzgerald Kennedy
It is Thanksgiving Day in Canada. First believed to have been celebrated by Martin Frobisher in 1578, Canadian Thanksgiving falls earlier here than in the US to coincide with our earlier harvest. In the land of the True North Strong and Free, we have to give thanks before the cold harsh winds of winter freeze our memories of all we have to be thankful for!

Every morning, sitting at my computer, watching the sky lighten from indigo to pale blue to pink and gold and azure blue, I give thanks for my abundance. Even the fact I have a computer sitting on my desk in my warm and cozy office is something I am grateful for.

There was a time, just six and a half years ago, when it wasn't a given that I would be sitting around typing on my keyboard. Back then, my life was in turmoil, my daughters living with the fear that their mother would never be found, my family and friends vainly searching for me. I believed I was better off dead. I believed I was worthless, unlovable, an appendage to a man who wove a weave of lies and deceit around me so strongly that I could not see through the F.O.G. (Fear. Obligation. and Guilt.) of his lies.

Today, I am far from that place where I believed I had no reason to live, nothing to give, no purpose in life.

Today, I am free of the FOG, of living in confusion, of believing his lies, of believing I was his.

Today, I know I am a Woman of Worth. WoW.

I've come a long way!

And I am so grateful for this journey. I am grateful for my daughters whose beautiful loving hearts taught me how to love and live again.

I am grateful to my family who stood by me as I struggled to find myself beneath the weight of my despair.

I am grateful to my friends, who reached out to me and supported me as I stood back up and claimed my place under the sun.

I am grateful for my life. For each moment. For every breath. I am grateful for C.C. who nourishes me and sustains me as we journey together falling deeper and deeper into love.

I am grateful for Ellie, the wonder pooch, who walks beside me, constant, gentle, loving. And Marley, the Great Cat, who brings such laughter into our home.

I am grateful for the wonder of science that has healed my foot -- and made it purdy too!

And for technology, which gives me a voice.

I am grateful for my gifts, for writing and painting and the art of living this one wild and passionate life in the rapture of now.

I am grateful for life.

I have much to be thankful for. Today. Yesterday. and Tomorrow. My life is a journey of love when I fill my heart with gratitude and give thanks with every breath and every thought and live my words with grace and ease and integrity.
May your day be blessed with gratitude, with loved ones sitting around as the Scandinavians call it, 'a groaning board', sharing in plenty of food, laughter and love as you give thanks for your abundance.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Love that acronym WoW!

"Gratitude is the memory of the heart." ~ Motto of Sisters of the Good Charity of Our Lady of Charity

Sarah M said...

Thank you Louise!!

I must admit though, that the winter is one of those things that I give thanks for. :) It is my favorite season and I am thankful that it is here already. Not sure I'd feel the same if I was living in a sod house, but there it is.

May you have a blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!!

With love,
Sarah

Louise Gallagher said...

And I love the motto of the Sisters of Charity! Thanks for sharing it Maureen.

LOL Sarah -- I like winter too! Just not in October. :)