Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Talking about the possibilities

Speech has allowed the communication of ideas; enabling human beings to work together to create the impossible. Mankind's greatest achievements have come about by talking, and its greatest failure by not talking. It doesn't have to be like this. Our greatest hopes could become reality in the future. With the technology at our disposal, the possibilities are unbounded. All we need to do is make sure we keep talking. Stephen Hawking
I went into the office today. It was my first day back since surgery three weeks ago. People were talking.

It's nice to know you're missed. Nice to know people are thinking of me -- and missing me too! It's nice to have a place where I fit in, where I belong, where I make a difference.

And it all comes about by talking.

And the first part of talking is... listening.

At our Director's meeting this morning, the assistant Exec Dir. said to me. "I met with," and she named a client with whom I've worked closely over the past two years on several different initiatives. "He sure thinks highly of you," she said. "In fact, as he told me of all you've done to help him, he cried. I just wanted to let you know."

I was touched. Moved. Humbled.

I haven't really done that much, other than to listen. And to keep asking questions. To keep cheering him on as he's made significant changes in his life, and attitude, and worked towards moving out of the shelter.

He's moving out soon. Got a place of his own. A job. A future.

And he's got hope of new possibilities.

All because, we started talking about where he was at. All because we started talking about where he wanted to go and the possibilities of a new tomorrow.

Life is filled with possibilities. But, when I stay silent. When I tune out, nothing happens. When I quit listening, or hold back from speaking up, I am limiting the possibilities of creating new opportunities, of gathering new insights, or deepening my learning and understanding of what makes me tick. Of what makes life go round. Of what makes this life such an amazing, incredible, awesome journey.

Talking.

We gotta hear what the other person's saying, or what the voice inside us is saying, before we can talk about what it is we can do to change, to move forward, to move onward, to create more of what we want in life.

Talking.

It's the gateway to more. It's what connects us. It's what makes it possible for us to connect in new and more powerful ways.

The question is: Are you talking about the possibilities or are you shut off from hearing what's out there, waiting, just around the next conversation?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Louise,
I was in town for two days, stopped in at the Drop In to see you since you were there...but you were not around...glad to hear you are doing well, and up and about again.
Jenny is in the CTI program and is doing really well, and graduates next week.
I am here getting more of my stuff, and moving it to Ontario where I am settling in. Have a place to live, and reconnecting with friends and family.
Left a message on your cell phone earlier today.
Hugs
Kim

Louise Gallagher said...

Hi Kim, Sorry to have missed you. Glad to hear all is going well by you! You sound great.

And I'm so happy to hear about Jenny and the CTI program. That's terrific!

Have a great trip.

Louise