Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ripples

Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end. Scott Adams
It was late in the day and M.C. really wanted to chat. "I've got important news to tell you," he said, his smile a cheshire grin, his eyes twinkling.

Who can resist such an invitation?

"I'm here late this evening," I told him. "Why don't you drop into my office later?"

He came around five, sat down and said, "I wanted to tell you, I've decided to quit drinking."

It's been a long road, he told me, but he's finally realized he's not living to his potential. "I deserve better," he said.

"What I really wanted to tell you though, is I met a couple of your friends." he paused. "Police officers."

Oh oh. Not a run in with the law!

"It's okay. I've had a couple of warrants outstanding for the past few years. They've just sort of played at the back of my mind, causing unease, but I was scared to deal with them." He laughed. "Amazing how something that's so easy to deal with can cause so much internal distress."

When the officers had approached him they were respectful and kind. He decided then and there to give them his real name, not a fictitious one like, "Bob Gallagher". He laughed. "In the end, your name was a good omen anyway."

In the end, the officers discovered the two outstanding warrants and M.C. agreed to walk to police HQ with them. "You'll probably have to spend a night in jail," they said.

M. laughed. "Like it could be worse than a night on a mat in Intox?"

As they walked, they talked about homelessness, living in a shelter, the officers experiences on the street. At one point, one of the officers asked, "Do you know Louise Gallagher?"

M.C. laughed when he told me their question. "Do I know Louise Gallagher," he said. "Of course I do."

"Well," said one of the officers. "There's a guy at the shelter she often speaks about. An artist. She always speaks highly of him. That wouldn't be you would it?"

"Well, it could be," he replied. I'd asked M's permission long ago to use his story in my talks, but neither of us knew it would have such value today.

The officers went on to tell him how in my talks I encourage them to shift their perceptions and their attitudes towards individuals experiencing homelessness. "We don't go about hassling them," they told him. "We really approach individuals now with an attitude of concern. How can we help? What can we do? It's made a difference."

In the end, the difference for M. was rather than spend a night in jail, they processed him in fifteen minutes and gave him a notice to appear. The next morning, he appeared in front of a Justice of the Peace and had his issues dealt with in minutes.

His past mess is cleared up and his conscience is clean. Sobriety is taking hold.

M knows he may fall, "But I can get back up again," he said. "I know I'm worth more than being drunk. I know I have a lot to give, a lot of value."

"I really wanted you to hear the story about how I was treated," he said. "I know how hard you've worked to change perceptions, to shift attitudes. It's working. Don't give up."

Gratitude. Appreciation. Healing. Love. Grace

All those emotions swept through me as I listened to Ms story. All those emotions live within me as I realize, I can make a difference, as long as I don't give up.

We all can make a difference. Those two officers made a difference to M. He shifted his perceptions and attitudes towards police because they took the time to be considerate, caring and respectful.

We never know the ripple from our actions and words. We never know how something we do or say will resonate in the world beyond the sphere of our influence.

I felt gratitude yesterday to know that something I had said or done, had rippled out beyond the block where the shelter stands into the city beyond, into the hearts of those who serve and those who are served.

The question is: What kind of ripple will you make today?

2 comments:

Kimberley said...

How delightfully inspiring !!!!

You do make a difference Louise, in so very many ways...just look at the art program and how much it has evolved and changed just from a seedling of an idea :)

Glad to hear that M was able to clear up his warrants..now the next little step forward :)

Many blessings
Kim

Brandi said...

wow! what a great story - that's such a good reminder to always try and be positive and kind to those around us...for we never know who really needs it that day :)
thanks for sharing your heart - i appreciate it always :)