Thursday, June 4, 2009

What would love do?

Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't. Richard Bach
I had a long conversation with my friend M. yesterday about 'love'. Is it a verb or a noun, he asked.

Hmmm. Good question. And you know how I love questions -- good or bad!

As a Noun, love is described in The Free Dictionary as:

1. A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
2. A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.

As the Verb, loved, loving, loves, the definition provided states:

1. To have a deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward (a person): We love our parents. I love my friends.
2. To have a feeling of intense desire and attraction toward (a person).

What if it is neither Noun nor Verb. What if it is all noun and verb?

What if love is the answer?

What if....

Love is.
I am.
We are.
One
In love.

My lovely friend C.S. sent me a passage from a book she is reading, Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsh. The 'voice' is God's. He/She is speaking to the author as they engage in a long and loving conversation throughout the book.

“Yea, let all those who have ears to hear listen. For I tell you this: at the critical juncture in all human relationships, there is only one question: WHAT WOULD LOVE DO NOW? No other question is relevant, no other question is meaningful, no other question has any importance to your soul.”

What would love do now?

When I respond to that question to create my highest good, I emit a ripple of goodness that effects the world around me. When I am the best me I can be, when my choices are predicated upon celebrating the best in me, I create the best for me and around me.

When I respond to any situation from a place of selfishness, of worrying about 'what's in it for me', 'how can I protect myself from getting hurt', 'how do I not lose face, back down, back away without giving in', I am not in love, I am fighting love, investing in fear. In my fear, I fight to control the world around me as if I am separate. I am the only one.

I am the only one that matters to me. The only one I can change, live up to, share -- it is my responsibility, and the purpose of my journey, to choose for my highest good in all things. In my choices, I create the highest good around me.

So often in my life I move through each moment thinking of myself as separate from the world around me. I act as if I am a drop of water stopped up inside a bottle cast upon the seas. I maneuver my way through the seas of life, trying desperately to direct its ebb and flow washing over and under and around me. In my misguided belief I am separate, you are separate, we are not connected, I convince myself I am safe within my bottle. That that is the way life flows into freedom.

Truth is, love is all around me. When I remove the cork. I wash out into the sea. The sea washes in to embrace me. I become one with the sea and the sea becomes one with me. As one, what happens to me, happens to others. What I create. Others feel. Let my creation be for the highest good in me.

We are all One.

In love.

The question is: Are you a drop of water or are you part of the great sea of life swimming in love?

No comments: