Wednesday, March 4, 2009

To the wall

The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure. Sven Goran Eriksson
He wasn't going to do it. He didn't want to. Wasn't ready. Figured he'd wait.

Earlier when we'd first arrived at the recording studio, where we are recording Stand By Me for an advertisement with singers and musicians from the homeless shelter where I work, B. had asked if he could re-record his singing from the previous session. "I know I can do better," he said.

"Sure," the producer replied. "I'm sure we can find some time today to fit you in."

Time opened up and we had the perfect opportunity for him to re-record. "Thanks," said B. "I don't think I'll do it."

I looked at him, surprised. We'd spent fifteen minutes earlier on in the session talking about why he wanted to re-record. Talking about his angst, his disappointment at what he perceived to be a second rate job. "Did you do your best?" I asked him.

"For that moment, yeah. But I know it's not my best. I know I can nail it. I was way too nervous."

And then the opportunity presented itself and he turned it down.

I walked over to where he sat. "What's going on? You wanted to do it again and now you don't?"

"I just don't know if I'm ready," he said. "Now's not a good time."

I smiled. "And how will you know when that good time is unless you step into the moment that's available."

"I'm just not in the mood."

"B., is this fear talking?"

He nodded his head up and down.

"Do you want fear to dictate your life?"

"I'm tired of fear dictating my life," he quickly responded.

"Then kick it out of the way."

He slumped back into the chair. "I can't." he sighed.

"I believe you can," I replied. "I believe you are powerful beyond your imaginings. I believe you are capable of doing anything you set your mind to. I believe in you."

I walked away to do an on-camera interview with one of the performers. Ten minutes later, I looked into the studio and there he was. B. The microphone. Headset on his head. Listening intently to the beat of the song.

He nailed it.

Pushed the notes. Poured his emotions into the music.

He nailed it.

And nailed his fear to the wall.

The question is: Where does fear keep you stuck in self-defeating patterns that limit your experience of life? Where does fear keep you down?

1 comment:

Brandi said...

what a sweet story! i'm so glad B stepped into the moment...he's a great example!