Monday, March 9, 2009

The time is always right

You cannot afford to wait for perfect conditions. Goal setting is often a matter of balancing timing against available resources. Opportunities are easily lost while waiting for perfect conditions. Gary Ryan Blair
Winter has descended once again in a blanket of snow borne in on a frigid north wind. I want to cocoon. To light a fire, curl up with a hot cup of cocoa and disconnect from the world outside to explore some warm clime within. Alas, weather or not I'm ready, the day beckons.

On Saturday, I held The Passion Test at the shelter where I work. Two staff, six clients, a staff member's friend and my daughter ,Alexis, attended. And, once again, I was struck by the similarities we share, no matter our address.

Each person struggled to write down ten things they love to do. "That was hard," said one of the staff members.

A client chimed in, "Yeah. I thought it would be easy."

We worked through the three hours, talking and writing, exploring what it is that makes our lives worthwhile, what it is that makes us feel like we are worthwhile.

One of the clients commented that he loves to write, "But I haven't written in about three years," he said.

"And that's because..." I asked.

"I just don't want to."

"And you don't want to because..."

"Oh, I don't know. I figure one day the time will feel right and I will."

"What if you chose to make the time right, right now?" I asked.

"That would be forcing it," he replied.

Earlier another client had told me he hasn't spoken to his mother in five years. He wants to but, "I'm not ready."

"How will you know when you are ready?" I asked.

Like the man who loved to write, he had no idea.

"What if you simply decide, 'I am ready. This is the right time'? I feel right today."

"That won't work," he replied.

"Because...?"

"I don't know," he replied.

And in the end, he did know. He was scared to call, just as the writer was afraid to write.

Using the excuse, the time's not right or I'm not ready, is not unique to those experiencing homelessness. We all do it. Think about the last time you had to do something you didn't want to do -- make a phone call you didn't want to make, break-up with someone, get a chore done you were stalling on. Was one of your excuses, I'm not ready? Time's not right?

We are all connected. What connects those experiencing homelessness to their state of living is not an address, it is their lack of pursuit of what they want more of in their lives.

What connects those who are housed to feeling 'less than' in their lives, is not their address, it is their lack of pursuit of what they want more of in their lives.

On Saturday, listening to the discussion, to the open sharing of what makes us 'happy', of what fulfills us, of what it means to be human, I listened to hope come alive.

We can all live the lives of our dreams, it just takes knowing what that dream is, and connecting with our Be. Do. Have.

Be committed to Do what it takes, to Have what I want.

For those in the room on Saturday, that commitment started with identifying what they want more of in their lives.

It started with accepting, the best time to start living a passionate life is, Right Now.

The question is: Are you using excuses to keep you from living the life of your dreams? Are you telling yourself, I'm not ready or the time's not right, to have what I want in life?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elgie,

Did any of them want 'to go for breakfast' with someone?

Mark

Louise Gallagher said...

Hi Mark -- I have it on my agenda to bring up in our Directors meeting today!

I think it's an idea worth exploring.

LG