Monday, December 29, 2008

Tipping points

The future is not some place we are going, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made. And the activity of making them changes both the maker and their destination. John Schaar
New Year's eve approaches and the Boxing Day frenzy continues. Mark-downs, discounts, slashed prices lure shoppers into stores with the elixir of bargains galore. Slimmed down Christmas wallets stretch to encompass that one thing 'Ijust can't resist because, I mean, really, I just saved $50 by spending $100' as credit card companies gleefully rub their hands together. Credit crunch? What credit crunch?

I have resisted the stores this year. Resisted stepping out and picking up more stuff. Who needs it? In my future, the one I'm creating where joy abounds and love expands with every moment, I don't need more stuff. Stuff only clutters up my path. Stuff only makes it harder to see my destination, to create the life of my dreams.

Stuff.

Gotta love it. Got lots of it!

Writer, Ray Bradbury once said, "We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out."

When I fill my cup with 'just stuff', I become bloated on excess and lose my will and desire to tip myself over. I can't see beauty waiting amidst the clutter cluttering up my mind and space with its exponentially increasing ability to expand continuously into space, taking up more and more time, energy and money.

Clutter is... well, clutter. It fills in space without leaving room for beauty to rise to the top. Laden down with all that stuff hanging about, beauty settles to the bottom, quietly resting until I get around to tipping myself over, someday soon, maybe.

I'm thinking about stuff today, because right now, stuff is cluttering up my office. In the frenzy of organizing for Christmas dinner, all the stuff that had no place to be, came to find itself resting on the floor and every surface in my office. Where once I walked into a space of serenity, I now trip over boxes and bags, unhung paintings and Christmas decorations.

I've got too much stuff!

And so, I'm going to make a New Year's resolution. It's different then my commitment to meditate on a word a month, that one's for my spiritual well-being. This resolution balances out my world. Creates harmony in my physical environment and peacefulness in my mind.

This year, 2009, is my year to create more of what works in my life, and less of what doesn't. To focus on being more of who I'm meant to be, and less of who I'm not meant to be.

More exercise. Less eating.
More saving. Less spending.
More listening. Less talking.
More reading. Less TV watching.
More discernment. Less jumping to conclusions.
More love. Less discord.

This is my year of more. More tipping myself over to set myself free of what doesn't work in my life so I can create more of what does. More letting my cup runneth over, with love.

The question is: Are you willing to fill yourself up with more of what works in your life? Are you willing to tip yourself over and let what doesn't work flow free?

No comments: