Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The power of a dream

Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe. Gail Devers
The headline in today's paper reads, 'Change has come'. Last night, my eyes were glued to the television along with C.C., my daughters, his son and daughter as change swept across our southern neighbours borders in a landslide victory filled with hope and faith and the possibilities of a new tomorrow.

Dreams can come true. Dreams do come true when we the dreamers never give up believing.

If Barack Obama's victory represents anything, it represents the limitless possibilities of what any woman or man can accomplish when they never lose sight of their goals and believe in their dreams.

On August 28, 1963, Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his now famous "I have a dream" speech.

Last night, I watched as Martin Luther King's words rocked a nation awakened to the power of a dream.

I am in awe.

I do not know what the future holds. I do not know how today will unfold from yesterday. I do know that with the events of last night, anything is possible. That the foundation for profound and lasting growth is doable. I do know that dreams come true. That even though Martin Luther King is not able to feel the continuous reverberation of his words as they resonate within the hearts and minds and souls of a nation, his words live on.

Everything is connected to everything. Barack Obama was only 2 years old when Martin Luther King's dream was spoken. And yet, within him, those words took hold. Within him, the dream was planted and last night, Martin Luther King's words became Barack Obama's dream come true.

I am not an American. Yet, Martin Luther King's words are my dream too. His words are a beacon of light for all of us to see that no matter what life has dished up, we can create lemonade out of lemons, we can spit out the pits and dive into the bowl of cherries, crushing our fears with our courage, hope and faith. We can create a world of wonder if we are committed to living the life of our dreams.

Dreams can come true.

Yesterday I spent the day speaking to Grade 10 students at a high school about overcoming defeat and turning up in my life as a victor. I use the story of Conrad as the igniter to my dreams, the catalyst for welcome change. One of the students asked, "Don't you regret what happened to you? Aren't you angry?"

How can I regret something that set me free of fear and limiting beliefs?

How can I hold onto anger when my life is filled with love and joy and abundance?

Why would I want to?

My dreams will not come true if I am filled with anger and resentment. My dreams will not come true if I hold onto what doesn't work in my life, if I keep doing the same old thing expecting a new outcome. My dreams will not come true if I blind myself with regret and turn my sight away from the possibilities of change, the hope of a better tomorrow, the belief in creating all things possible in a life of wondrous joy.

The question is: What's you dream? Are you willing to stand up and yell it out? Are you willing to let go of fear and anger and resentment to create a world of change for the better?

No comments: