Saturday, August 16, 2008

Do It Now

Money is congealed energy, and releasing it releases life's possibilities. Joseph Campbell

In Maria Nemeth's book, The Energy of Money, she states that it is imperative we ground our goals in specific life intentions. It's not enough to just 'think positively' about your goal. Thoughts live in the metaphysical realm. Success comes as a result of actions in the physical domain.

It was around my thirty-fifth birthday that the truth of that statement became a reality for me. All my life I had said, "I want to be a writer." Great intention but at thirty-five I had to look at the harsh reality of my goal -- How could I be a writer if I wasn't writing? Duh.

I had to take action in the physical realm to make my writer's dream a reality. I took a course on writing for magazines. I phoned the editor of a major newspaper and pitched a story idea for Remembrance Day. Imagine my surprise when he said "Yes."

Suddenly, I had to find subjects to interview and get to work. I was terrified. But I had a goal. I wanted to be a published writer. I couldn't achieve my goal without specific actions to back up my intent.

That feature story was published and I went on to write many more. And then, I ran out of steam, lost sight of my dream, folded up my tent and put away my writing utensils.
Life's Intentions keep you energized and focused whenever you encounter challenges on the path to your goals. They keep you heading in the direction of what has heart and meaning for you. Maria Nemeth, The Energy of Money

To keep striving towards my goal of being a full time writer, I need to step back from this physical realm for a moment and take a look at what limiting beliefs I have in my metaphysical plane that are preventing me from taking action. One of them is -- I can't make a living as a writer.

Says who?

Um, I have no idea. The idea just rests in my head and whispers its insidious limitation in my psyche.

What if I took that thought and shifted its perspective? What if I weaken the negative belief by empowering it with action? What if I told myself, I will make my living as a full time writer a reality by starting today with action. I commit to pitching one story a week to a newspaper and/or magazine starting this week.

I have a dream. When I articulate it as a goal, I set myself up for success by keeping my promise with myself to BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE the life of my dreams.

I'm committed. It's my responsibility to take action and DO IT NOW.

The question is: Are you relying on positive thinking to make your dreams a reality? If you are, when do you plan on bringing them alive through acting on your intentions?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LG,

here is a quote that might help you validate those feelings; I certainly find it helps me:
Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now. (Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe)

Cheers,

Mark

Louise Gallagher said...

What a great quote Mark. Thanks for sharing it!

LG

Louise Gallagher said...

What a great quote Mark. Thanks for sharing it!

LG

Louise Gallagher said...

What a great quote Mark. Thanks for sharing it!

LG