Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Optimism in the face of adversity

One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself. Lucille Ball
He's tall and quiet. His bright blue eyes sparkle from amidst the full beard that covers most of his face. He wears a white cowboy hat low on his brow, a jean jacket and jeans. He hails from the other side of the country. Came here for a two week vacation twelve years ago and here he still is. "That's life," he says with a shrug of one shoulder.

In the fall of last year, he bought a disposable camera and started taking pictures. "If I'm going to be walking the streets I may as well do something," he told me yesterday. "I don't really aim to shoot so much as click to see what happens."

That happening resulted in a series of photographs at Sunday's art show that caused every visitor to pause and take a second look. They were stunning.

His first disposable camera led to another and another until his interest sparked and he saved up the cash through his job as a snow removal worker to buy a small digital camera complete with laptop computer and software to store and manipulate the images on. In six months he has over 5,000 images stored on his computer and disks.

Or rather, HAD 5,000 images stored on his computer and disks.

Yesterday, his computer case was stolen. In it were his laptop, camera and his disks. The images are gone. The equipment he can replace -- someday.

When I heard the news I wanted to cry. How could this happen?

According to *Greg, it's easy. "There are always going to be people who want what you have. It's my own fault. I left it sitting on a chair. I went for a smoke and when I came back, it was gone."

I wanted to do something. I can't get him back the lost images but there must be a way to help him to replace the equipment. I called the media. A reporter friend was intrigued by the story and came in to interview Greg.

"How did you feel when you realized it was gone?" he asked.

Greg couldn't describe his feelings. He had no words. He shrugged a shoulder and said with a chuckle, "It was time to upgrade my equipment anyway."

Optimism in the face of adversity.

A great lesson.

The question is: When adversity strikes who do you blame? Where do you look for retribution?

No comments: