Monday, June 23, 2008

Being fearless

Choices.

After five days of being in the seminar room, I am tired. I am enlivened. I am peaceful.

It was a good week. Then again, I've never been at a Choices seminar that wasn't a great time.

There is something miraculous about standing in a room with 89 trainees and watching miracles happen. Of watching spirits awaken to the truth of who they are as the lies they've carried around inside them fall away into the dust of the past they cannot change. Of watching eyes open wide to the beauty within as they step into the joy of knowing there is hope for a better tomorrow. Of watching ears open up to the truth of knowing they can live the lives of their dreams by turning off the tapes playing inside their heads -- Those tapes that have held them prisoner to the belief they were unworthy of the miracle of their life.

Choices is about miracles.

For me, the miracles come in moments when I find myself living my contract, (I am a fearless woman), effortlessly, with ease and grace.

Fear has been a huge part of my life. Fear of what people think of me. Fear of speaking up. Fear of speaking out. Fear of speaking my truth.

When I live my contract, I am fearless.

People who knew me in the past would not have described me as a 'fearful' person. I did lots of things that spoke to my fearlessness. And I was courageous in those moments. But I was not fearless.

The Atharva Veda states, “Praise the virtues of fearlessness. A truly fearless person embraces even death without any kind of hesitation. ”

To be fearless, I must see my fear and face it. I must acknowledge my fear and name it. I must walk into my fear and free it.

This weekend, I met my fears. My fear wasn't about someone else's behaviour. About their anger. Their story. Their actions. My fear was based on whether I could be present without being there in my fear of not speaking up, not speaking out, not doing the right thing appropriately.

In facing my fear, naming it and freeing it, I know I have fear. Fear is not going to 'go away'. It exists inside me -- where my fear has changed is in my ability to identify it, and to move into it.

In the past, I feared speaking in front of groups of people. Today, I am confident, relaxed and present when I speak in front of groups of people. I still have that moment of 'fear' before I speak. When it arises, I remind myself of the countless presentations I've given and ask myself, "What is the reason I am giving this talk. What is my purpose?" Inevitably, it is to touch hearts and open minds. In knowing my purpose, I take a breath, whisper my contract, step up and speak out.

Being fearless is my response to fear. Being fearless means knowing I am good enough to move through it, beyond it and past it. Being fearless is the gift I give myself when I turn up for me, in my truth, my courage, my fear and free myself to be the magnificent human being I am.

This weekend, I turned up for myself and others, fearlessly. It took effort. It took confidence. It took spirit. It took my belief that I am a fearless woman sharing my unique gifts to create a world in which spirits dance free in love, joy and harmony.

To create that world, I must turn up, for me and those around me, without fear that I am not enough.

The truth is, I do enough. I am enough. I'm good enough.

And my best is good enough for me.

The question is: Where do you hold back from being your best because you are afraid to face your fear? Where does your fear keep you from turning up for you and being magnificent?

No comments: