Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Self-care

Surgery went well. Still groggy.

I awake and feel the tendrils of the drugs seeping at my energy level. No amount of shaking my head, pushing back, or kicking at the lethargy dislodges it. Sleep is required.

I'm not accustomed to being low energy. I'm not accustomed to sleeping in. I balk and realize I must give into the lull of sleep, give into the lasstitude rather than fight it.

A different perspective for me.

Some people call me stubborn. Some just think I'm persistent. Someone once likened me to a Jack Russell Terrier -- hmmm, having owned a Jack Russell for a year once, I don't think that's such a great thing!

Never the less, I am stubborn. I wanted to get up and go into my office today, but sleep over-powered me. I awoke two hours later, and couldn't get out of bed.

Hmmm, I thought, what if I just work from home? What if I sit at my computer and get some work done there?

C.C. tells me to be patient. Let the drugs take their course. The Doctor told you to rest today -- apparently, I'm still 'under the influence' and can't drive until this evening. Go figure!

Truth is, I just want to go back to bed. But, my guilty mind says, you have to go to work. The ying yang struggle of responsibility versus self-care.

If I don't take care of myself, how can I take care of others.

So, I'm heeding my bodies cry for sleep and going back to bed.

Question is: Do you listen to your body, or do you let your mind talk you out of doing what is most healing for you when you are sick?

No comments: