Saturday, September 8, 2007

Miracles come in every day packages

Cellist, Pablo Casals, once said, “The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him.”

At Choices, I am reminded of what miracles we all are every time I step into the training room. This group met up in June. We're in the last weekend, the homeward stretch of the process, and the miracles that are visible on people's faces and in their lives are incredible.

I love being surrounded by miracles. Especially when they come alive on the faces of the people around me. Every person in that room has had something happen within them and within their worlds that, had they not given themselves the gift of the Choices experience, would never have transpired. From families re-connected, to marriages saved. To a child who will go to sleep each night to the sound of his parents laughter rather than voices yelling. To a father who has forgiven the man who abused him thirty years ago and has learned to love himself today .

Miracles are sprinkled about the room like snowflakes falling from the heavens. Each one unique. Each one a perfect reflection of the individuality of the person holding out their hand to capture them.

Some are very simple. Like a mother committing to tell her children, every night, that she loves them. Or the father who after twenty years of distance between him and his daughter is given the gift of being asked to walk her down the aisle.

Life is full of miracles. Everyday. In everyone.

And most of them happen when we quit frantically running from who we believe we are and step into the beauty and the joy of being the miracles we were born to be. When we quit drowning out the truth of our magnificence and listen instead to the steady beat of our heart calling us home to the one we love.

"Deep listening," writes author and psychotherapist, Sue Patton Thoele, "is miraculous for both listener and speaker. When someone receives us with open-hearted, non-judging, intensely interested listening, our spirits expand.”

At Choices, I have learned to listen from my heart and expand into living with spirit. To let go of my need to condemn, criticize and complain so that I can celebrate, collaborate and create opportunities for miracles to happen every day.

At Choices, I have found the me behind the mask, the woman who has craved for recognition and acceptance most of her life, but who was too afraid to stand up for herself and be seen as the miracle of love she is.

I see the same truth dawning on every face in the Choices room. People waking up to the beauty and joy of being who they are meant to be when they let go of their fear that they will never be enough to satisfy the yearning in their heart for more.

Love is limitless. There's no need for more. I am enough.

In accepting I am enough, I reject the notion that to be accepted I must be perfect, or someone else other than who I am. In accepting the miracle of me, I reflect the miracles all around me.

The question is: Where do you deny the miracle of your life? To live the life of your dreams, are you prepared to let go of finding fault with the miracle of you? Are you willing to love yourself, warts and all, and celebrate your magnificence?

No comments: