Sunday, June 24, 2007

Studying The Energy of Money

Yesterday I started a course based on the excellent and powerful book "The Energy of Money" by Dr. Maria Nemeth. There were about 30 people in the class, ranging from their 20s to 60s. A diverse group of varied ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds with a shared commitment to working on our relationship with money. I believe this work will have a profound effect on my life.

Joseph Campbell said, "Money is congealed energy, and releasing it releases life's possibilities". One of the first exercises in "The Energy of Money"is to take a dollar bill (for those of us in Canada it would have to be a five dollar bill) and to hold it for a moment. Imagine where this bill has been, whose hands its crossed and what they used it for. Think about the people who will hold it in the future, what they will use it for. It could be used by a single-mother of a small sick child who must buy medicine. It could pay for the taxi ride of an entrepreneur about to close a deal that will employ hundreds of people. It could be part of the down-payment on a car, a first home, a new instrument for a budding musician. There is energy in this bill. Feel it. Think about the energy flowing from your hands into many people's lives.

Money has powerful energy and our relationship with it determines how its energy affects us. For me, I've never had a healthy relationship with money. Growing up, what I learned about money was based on my mother's and father's arguments. Money = fighting. It equated to tears and yelling, to scarcity and confusion. There was never enough, and what there was, was to be spent as quickly as possible. Money was a means to and end. It was used to express love. It often came wrapped up in an apology. Money was not spoken about. Only yelled over. Mostly I avoid dealing with money -- and how I do one thing is a reflection of how I do all things.

I've been working on cleaning up my act around my emotional intelligence. It's time to smarten up my beliefs around money. And my physical being! But that's another story.

I also learned some vital dating information! Big tippers are the best lovers. I never knew that! Neither did the woman beside me. Where have we been for all those years of the dating game?

The book talks about six primary forms of energy:

Money
Time
Physical vitality
Enjoyment
Creativity
Support of friends

Nemeth attests that we use these forms of energy to energize our goals, "to help them across the Border between metaphysical reality and physical reality. When we are "doing what we said we would do -- with ease," then we have succeeded in using all forms of energy effectively. She goes on to say that many of us are successful in doing what we said we would, it's the 'with ease' part we often miss. She believes phrases such as, "No pain, No gain" hinder our ability to accept that success can be easy, graceful, enjoyable.

Interesting thinking. Powerful energy.

In the three hours yesterday I came away thirsting to know more, do more, be more confident around the energy of money. Like Nemeth suggests, I want to give myself Breathing Room to achieve my goals with ease. I want to not trade my dreams in for the illusion of security. I want to venture forth on my hero's path confident, energized and excited about the limitless possibilities of my life.

Helen Keller, blind and deaf from the time she was nineteen months old said, "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposures. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

Today, I value this daring adventure. I am no longer focussing on getting rid of my fears and instead, focus on materializing my dreams. I'm stepping out of my comfort zone into the discomfort of travelling freely on my hero's path. I am willing for my life to be easier.

We are designed to prosper. We are designed to succeed. We are designed to take the hero's journey inward towards our greatest potential. Inward to that potent place where everything is possible and ease abounds.

The result of our experiences are our beliefs. When we replace them with better ideas, we shift our beliefs.

I am shifting my beliefs around money. Willingly moving into that place where ease abounds and I am at ease with the energy of money and my power to create the life of my dreams with ease and grace.

No comments: