Tuesday, March 27, 2007

In all kinds of weather

When I went to bed last night there was a weather warning. The meteorologists were predicting 10 to 15 cm of snow beginning at midnight.

I awoke, the earth is still brown. No snow. Yet. But it's coming the newscaster reports. Sometime this morning the snow will fall and taper off to flurries by this afternoon. It will have melted by tomorrow afternoon as the temperature rises to seasonal norms.

If only I could predict life in the same way! Cloudy thinking will begin at midnight and clear by 1pm the next afternoon. I suppose in some ways, horoscopes are the tempermental forecasters for life. Like the weather, I've never found my horoscope particularly accurate and no longer check it out to see what kind of day I'm going to have. I prefer to move through each day expecting the unexpected and greeting whatever comes with open arms. Though I'll always have weather gear at the ready!

Like life, the weather is sometimes unpredictable. Fair sailing can give way to stormy seas. As the saying goes, "You cannot change the wind, only the set of your sails."

It's not the weather that determines my journey. It's how I navigate each day that makes the difference.

Today, my outlook is sunny. Regardless of the weather. It's day seven of my commitment to write here every morning. While I was away and didn't have access to the internet, I still wrote. I just couldn't publish. I feel good about keeping my commitment. I awake and anticipate sitting down. I'm still never sure what will appear on the screen until I type. I consciously keep my mind clear of directing my typing and let the words flow.

Flow writing -- the art of writing from the inside out. Touching my inner space and casting light on my outer workings. That's flow writing. I had no idea what would appear after I wrote the phrase, flow writing. I simply trusted in the process of setting my mind free to flow.

Flow writing is an awesome way to tap into your creative source, to free fall into creativity. Every morning I surrender myself to the flow so that these pages can appear.

At first, it can be scary. I fear the blank screen means, a blank mind. For me, the process begins with expressing whatever thought is in my head on the page. I type. The words appear. I do not control their flow.

Some days, something as simple as the weather can lead me into insight of how I'm feeling. It can be a good analogy of how I want to lead my life.

I can't predict the weather. Obviously, by this morning's lack of snow, neither can meteorologists! All I can do is prepare myself and know, whatever the weather, when I stand in my 'eye', when I stay true to my values and principles, I will not be pulled off track by inclement happenings in my life.

As to the weather outside, I have not yet put the snow shovel away -- though I do move into, "What God bringeth, God taketh" thinking at this time of year! The snow will come. The snow will go. It's like sitting in traffic waiting for an intersection to clear. I have the option of changing lanes. Taking another route or calmly waiting for the lights to turn, the traffic to move. In the past, I'd impatiently tap my hands on the steering wheel. Switch lanes. Try alternate routes, cut through side streets and neighbourhoods, look for the faster way to get to where ever I was going by keeping my body in motion, my wheels turning. Ultimately, my route generally took just as long. The only difference was, my state of mind.

Today, when stuck in traffic, I remind myself that no one has ever been stuck at this red light forever. The traffic does eventually move. It's how I wait that makes a difference. Am I anxious or accepting? Which state of being creates more of what I want in my life? Which state enhances my peace of mind?

It may or may not snow today. One thing is assured, there will be weather.

No matter the weather, I am ready for my day. My sights are set on living this as the best day of my life. I've opened my mind to the possibilities of the day by beginning with a commitment to be the best me I can be. In that state of mind, I am ready to greet the day and be all that I am meant to be.

Nameste!

1 comment:

Josie Two Shoes said...

"No one has ever been stuck at a red light forever." So much wisdom stated so simply. This concept should be taught to everyone from childhood up. We all get stuck at red lights at various times of our lives. If we wait patiently, and also look carefully for other options, the light will turn green, a path will open up, and our lives will move forward!
I really love the red light analogy, Louise, and will think of you fondly when I use it in the future! :-)